Are you sold yet??
What if I told you that you can be stuffing this in your face in less than 30 minutes? That’s what I thought.
I love cheese in any way I can consume it but hot cheesy dips have to be near the top of my list. I have NEVER not ordered cheese dip if it’s available on a menu. Do I look crazy? (Don’t answer that. It was meant to be rhetorical.)
I tasted a variation of this dip at a hole in the wall seafood restaurant and became obsessed with making my own version. It’s basically a glamorous version of queso that proves we live in a wonderful world.
There’s never a wrong time for a dip like this but we are heading into March Madness. Make this for you next watch party and you’ll be the most popular person in the room! And if someone doesn’t like it? Nearly impossible but it’s okay – you don’t need people like that in your life anyway.
Smoked Gouda Crab Dip
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces smoked Gouda cheese shredded
- 4 ounces American cheese shredded or chopped
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces crab meat
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chives minced
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and jalapeño. Sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheeses and spices. Stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gently stir in the crab meat and mix well. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the dip into a serving bowl and garnish with chives. Serve immediately with tortilla chips for dipping.