Easy, cheesy, winner winner, chicken dinner!
This recipe is based on a chicken recipe so beloved in our family that people argue over who loves it the most (it’s called Grandpa/Taylor’s Chicken in our family because both my daughter and my father adore it). Who knew it’s actually called Chicken Milanese? Not me until recently.
Regardless of what you end up calling it in your family, it will be a recipe you make again and again because everyone will love it. And bonus – it’s quick and easy and on the table in less than thirty minutes. Perfect for the crazy busy school nights that everyone is trying to get used to again after a lazy summer.
My mom always served this chicken with lemon wedges so I decided to amp up the lemon flavor by adding lemon zest to the cheese and bread crumbs. And just because I’m THAT crazy I threw some lemon juice in with the beaten egg too. I am a wild, wild woman.
Another bonus of this chicken is how flexible it is. Serve it traditionally as a light meal on top of some arugula or other salad greens. Serve it with potatoes or rice and veggies when you want something more substantial. Or go hog wild and serve it chicken Parmesan style over pasta with some marinara sauce and mozzarella on top. Yum.
While you’re at it, double or triple the recipe and throw some into the freezer for nights when you’re even busier than usual. Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Lemon Parmesan Chicken Milanese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Make chicken cutlets by cutting each chicken breast in half horizontally (place your palm on top of the breast while cutting parallel to the cutting board). Place the chicken cutlets in a large ziploc bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4” thickness. Season both sides of the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour into a shallow bowl or cake pan.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl or cake pan.
- Crack the egg into a third shallow bowl or cake pan and beat well.
- Zest two of the lemons and add the zest to the bread crumb mixture.
- Juice the lemons and whisk the juice into the egg.
- Bread the chicken cutlets by first dusting with the flour, shaking off the excess. Then dip into the egg mixture and let the excess drip back into the pan. Finally coat well with the Parmesan bread crumbs, pressing the breading well onto the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add two cutlets to the pan and cook about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Keep warm in a 200° oven while repeating with the remaining two breaded cutlets.
- Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and serve with the chicken.